Maybe your dog accidentally ate cinnamon, and you’re panicking and wondering if it is healthy for him. In most cases, you should be fine. Whether you have a dog, cat or horse that ate cinnamon, they should be fine. The one danger is if they ate nutmeg instead of cinnamon. In these cases, nutmeg can prove deadly when you consume it in large quantities. The dog will hallucinate, but he can also die if he’s eaten too much.
Leading To A Bad Stomach
In most cases, the worst that can happen from your dog consuming cinnamon is that he or she will start to feel nauseous and have a bad stomach. Too much cinnamon can cause irritation with the digestive tract, but it won’t prove fatal. You do have a couple of things that you have to stay alert to, however. For example, if the dog inhales the cinnamon, he could choke on it or have trouble breathing. In fact, many of these problems are the same issues that humans deal with.
How Much Can A Dog Take?
Normally, you wouldn’t want the dog to have more than a teaspoon of cinnamon because it could upset his stomach. If you happen to have an even smaller dog, you will want to exercise extra caution to stay safe. Some of the issues that can arise if a dog happens to overdose on cinnamon include:
- Low blood sugar
- Liver disease
Is Cinnamon Healthy For Humans?
Some studies may suggest that cinnamon even has proven benefits for people. While it could prove healthy to humans, it’d be a mistake for us to assume that it will automatically be healthy for dogs as well. One of the dangers that come from this line of thinking is that chocolate—something that is not harmful to humans—can be deadly to cats and dogs. This is because they have a different digestive system.
To answer the question, dogs can eat cinnamon, and it won’t be deadly to them. However, it’s probably not something that you want to feed your dog. If you give them too much, it can cause them to feel sick. It’s not necessary to feed them this. You should also beware of certain types of cinnamon. For example, cassia cinnamon contains what is known as coumarin, and this can damage your dog’s liver in excess levels.